Whitehall Foundation funds may be used for the following purposes:
- Salary support for post-doctoral and graduate students, technicians and undergraduates in work study programs. The positions and individuals holding them should be identified when possible.
- Personnel Benefits may not exceed 25% of the salary for full and part time employees.
- The purchase of permanent scientific equipment is limited to $30,000 ($15,000 for Grants-in-Aid) and it should remain with the researcher during the life of the grant.
- Materials and supplies required to accomplish the project are funded while office supplies are not.
- Travel may be funded if it is required for research purposes, with foreign travel usually excluded.
- Publication costs will normally be funded if directly related to papers on the project which have been submitted to recognized journals.
- Overhead or Indirect expense is limited to no more than 25% of equipment and research supplies.
Foundation funds may not be used for any of the following:
- Salary of the principal investigator.
- Construction projects or laboratory renovations.
- Secretarial or other office expense.
- Travel to conferences or meetings.
- Tuition and/or fellowships.
During the period of the grant all meaningful budget changes must be approved in advance. A brief note describing the requested changes should be sent via electronic mail to the Foundation for approval.